Friday, June 8, 2012

Dust

I've been working my new job for about two weeks now. It's pretty typical warehouse stuff. You might say I pick things up and put them down. Yeah, that about covers it.

But as I stepped into the shower after getting home from work last night, it dawned on me how satisfying it is to wash off the grime. It's a stamp that tells you you've been working hard. And I think that's part of the reason why I loathe the thought of taking a desk job: there's no tangible evidence that you've done anything that's really "work".

Aches and soreness are evidence. Stinking of sweat is evidence. And the layer of grey I need to scrub off every night tells me that, yeah, I worked. I'm not saying people who work at a computer all day are lazy, just that I don't see how that kind of thing can be satisfying without a recognizable change in your work environment at the end of the day, or a visible mark on yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment